DAY 3: SMALL MIRACLES

Thursday, October 3, 2013


I used to think God would never move in the smallness of my life because it was just that -- small. Ordinary. 

Maybe if I prayed "holier" prayers, he'd answer me, I reasoned. 

In my mind Jesus was great and glorious and unable to understand, relate, or meet me in the context of my life. I didn't think Jesus could be God/friend/savior of my "todays."

In John 2, Jesus attends a wedding with his mother, and some friends approach him complaining about the rapid loss and lack of wine. Jesus uses this opportunity to perform his miracle. He asks them to fetch six jars and fill them to the brim with water. He turns that water into wine, and instructs those same men to give them to the wedding guests. Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine. Think about that for a second. He did not save a life, heal a leper, cure cancer, or even explicitly bring salvation. He just saw a friend in distress, and met that need.

So maybe it is bigger than that. Bigger than wine, bigger than water. 

He saw a friend's need, and met it, revealing his role as a friend and a providerMaybe the reason he chose this to be his first miracle is because God wanted to remind us he is our friend and provider, too.

I think we can extend this truth into our own lives. Jesus has that same heart for us. He sees the small needs of our lives, he hears our worries (both big and small), and then he responds to them. He doesn't disregard or dismiss, but he sees them and meets them. 

And sometimes, he performs minor miracles.


*FIND THE ENTIRE SERIES HERE.

2 comments :

  1. It's always hard to imagine that the Lord has anytime for things in our lives that seem trivial compared to what is going on in the world around us. It's nice to have a reminder that the Lord is here for us in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thanks so much for stopping by and reading these words of mine. It means the world to me.

      And you're absolutely right! I always forget that our God is not only so big and so holy, but he is also so, so near to us. :) Hope he draws near to you today! Happy Thursday.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground