CONFESSIONS OF A BLOGGER [TAG]

Monday, November 25, 2013



Ella of Paper Umbrella tagged me to do the "Confessions of a Blogger" post last week and I kept pushing it off due to all the exams and traveling that was happening, but now that things have settled down a bit, I thought it'd be better late than never.

I was beyond flattered to be tagged by Ella (because she is great and phenomenal), but I also felt pretty hesitant and unqualified to participate because a lot of these questions are geared towards a "serious blogger," and I definitely would not consider myself one! Regardless, I am just going to give it a try for that small bunch who may want to learn more about this wittle blog of mine!

here we go:

1. When did you first start blogging and why?

I first started blogging in August of 2012 when I turned 20 to start documenting life as I knew it. I always enjoyed the blog world ___. My first blog also was actually @ jkfacee.wordpress.com titled, "Now, That's Lovely." Over the summer, I wanted more flexibility and freedom with my blog (without paying a pretty penny), so I made the switch over to blogspot, completely changing and reinventing the brand identity meanwhile.

2. Have you had any past online presence?
I'll tell you a secret. I used to have a youtube. I was really shy about it and only told a few of my closest friends — and I wouldn't let them talk about it in front of me. I did it my sophomore year of college and only uploaded a handful of videos talking nonsense on fashion... But that is in the past.

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
Mm, I think when I started becoming more consistent with this blog was last winter when I was getting ready to go study abroad in Italy for a semester. I wanted to document all of my travels, as well as keep my family updated on my whereabouts, so I began to post on a daily basis. That's when I started being more deliberate on photo and writing quality.

4. What was your first blog post?
My first post was titled, "Cheers to Twenty." It was a little introduction to the new year of adulthood and the blog. You can read it here.

What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
My biggest struggle has been probably carving out time to crank out quality posts while juggling my other responsibilities. Although advised, I never created an editorial calendar for myself so I kind of just blogged when my fingers felt itchy or when I found the time, which resulted in random waves of clutter and/or absence. However, since I've always limited my blogging to things I enjoy, there really are no rules for me. A few years ago, I mostly blogged about professionalism and fashion when that was something I wanted to concentrate on, when I was Italy, the blog was covered with travel photos, and now I dabble in whatever. (: It's a good thing, but it also makes for an unorganized read.

6. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
How much time do you have for this one? Because I could go on for daays. Literally. But for the sake of time, let me limit the rewarding aspects to two. First, I love that what started out as an online journal has turned into a hub for my inspiration and reflection of who I am as a person.
Coffee & Honeycomb is a space for my creative bones to exercise through design, photo, and writing, and it's also a reflection of the different and spontaneous interests that kept me occupied over the last few years. I've said it before, but my interests really jump around like crazy through the year, and this blog really reflects that. Second, the network. My relationship with God is and always will be the most important thing about me. And because of that, and because my walk with Him is always a struggle, I needed a space to spit that out, too. As I've shared bits and pieces of my spiritual walk on here, you guys listened — and responded. Finding sisters who are also learning to love the Lord has made lifetime dents into my own walk and I am so incredibly thankful. Reading comments from those who have been touched by my own walk leave me humbled and amazed for days. Yes, this blog is about my life and interests, but in a bigger picture, it's about God and his faithfulness in my life and the different ways he is shaping and molding me. I lied — let me tell you a third reason why blogging has been so rewarding. The way God has revealed himself to me using this blog. Coffee & Honeycomb is entirely dedicated to him, it's a love story to Him, and a live, beating heartbeat and reminder that God loves me. My only response is to share the good news with the rest of the world, too, hence, the title "Coffee & Honeycomb." It is a declaration of the ways God has been so good to me and because I believe that His words are sweet to the soul and bring healing to the bones, Coffee & Honeycomb exists. (Phew, I told ya that one would take awhile.)

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
I think most people respond to this one with something along the lines of discouraging comments or negative feedback. I am nowhere near well-known enough to have "haters." My most discouraging thing? When I use a measuring stick. When I forget that this blog is my own personal and unique corner of the internet — and not something to be compared to next to others. I get discouraged when I look at numbers. NTS: never focus on the numbers.

8. What is your last inspiration or motivation?
Practice makes perfect. Blogging is a skill you must hone, a language you must learn, and a culture you must observe. The blogland is real — and just like any other new foreign place, you must learn the norms. And that truth is far from discouraging, it's exciting. :) Practice, practice, practice. Practice until your writing voice becomes clear and cutting, practice until you only know how to blog about things that excite and inspire you, practice until you find your own niche.

9. What is your blogging dirty little secret?
Write everything down. Any line that passes in my mind, I jot it in my planner in case I want to use it later. Any blog topic or theme or title, I scribble it because it may inspire me later. Also, I draft — a lot. Sometimes I'll open a new post and just write with no punctuation marks as fast as my little fingers can take me, and then I'll hit "save." Weeks later, I often find those drafts to be unpolished gems, ready to be dressed up with periods and commas and shared with the world. Other times, the drafts are garbage or nothing but angry rants — I keep it saved anyways. Who knows, maybe in another season it will mean something to me.

10. What is your current goal as a blogger?
I am a quitter so my main goal: keep on. Second goal: expand and grow readership. Third goal: tighten my blog identity so it can be more organized.

11. Have you learned or become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise?
Oh my gosh, yes! One hundred times yes. I fell in love with Pinterest, design, DIY, photo editing, and so much more. As I begin to exercise one creative muscle, a lot of other things become intriguing and exciting, ready to be explored, too.

Phew! We're done. (: If you got through all of this, bless your little heart — and thank you. Thank you for caring and walking with me. Today, I would LOVE to hear from...

Ellyse @ With Love, Ellyse
Amy @ Taking Steps Home
Meg @ Rivers and Roads

I'm tagging you. Hope you participate.

16 comments :

  1. What a fun post! I loooove your dirty little blogging secret--I find that I'm the same way! I write down random thoughts on sticky notes and then I end up finding them all over the place (on my desk, in my pocket, by my laptop, etc.). :)

    And I love how you called your post drafts unpolished gems. That is a brilliant analogy and it describes unpublished posts perfectly.

    p.s. I am so going to read your Cheers to Twenty post now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love this! I will definitely be posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great tag. I totally relate to so much of what you say. It's so nice to read it from your side as well and feel like someone else feels the same! =)
    xo,
    nancy

    www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely! thanks for reading and sharing that we are in the same boat. :) it's nice to have people to relate to!

      Delete
  4. I loved reading this and getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is very inspiring to me, being a brand new baby in the world of blogging. My biggest struggle is gaining the followers because I assumed it would come all in one day (silly me). I love your current goal, I too am a quitter (at least we can admit it!), I never stick with anything! Thank you for this post :) Please follow! dearmarleigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi shay! thanks so much for stopping by and sharing. :) i'm excited to check our your blog now!

      Delete
  6. these things are so fun to read! what a cute post!! for reals. maybe i'll do one one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely! :) i think we'd all love to hear your own words! :)

      Delete
  7. I loved reading all of your answers! :)

    xx Ella
    www.paperumbrellablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. uh "creative bones" - YES!
    and #6 yes, yes, YES! AMEN & AMEN!

    seriously - I loved your answers, so insightful and full of wisdom (not even kidding)
    I will DEFINITELY be making a post about this asap! :) thanks for tagging me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fun post for a new reader to happen upon! i love how you described exercising one creative muscle led to another.. that's exactly what happened to me! what started off as a fun way to keep in touch with family has blossomed into so many different stems in directions i never thought i'd step in. thanks for sharing your confessions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello :) thanks so much for reading and sharing! :) blogging is the greatest thing ever. i'm gonna hop on over to yours right now!

      Delete
  10. oh yay! thanks for tagging me :) i'll totally do a post for this!

    and agreed, the blogging community is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice. The web is indeed rewarded by the presence of blogs such as this, which really entails one half maintenance and vigilance, and another straight-up marketing. Yes, blogs really do tend to sell themselves, with how they could just randomly pop up in someone's radar, either through google or social media feeds, but it still does require a nuts-and-bolts approach of putting this out there, and getting people to notice. So far so good though. Heh.

    LeetWeb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I JUST FOUND YOU AND LOVE YOU! Wow, I'm so excited to keep reading your blog. I've just got married a month a go, moved cities (in New Zealand) and saw you Love God! Im so happy for you! You're so creative & would love any tips from you! As i've just started my own blog , http://thenextcoffee.blogspot.co.nz , all about coffee, my journey as a newly wed and living in a new city. Hope we can connect at some point xx

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground